The site is at the centre of Grimsby Town and is occupied by a collection of Grade-II Listed structures. Beginning in 1821, a series of granary warehouses were constructed which were later converted to a maltings. These historic buildings have considerable presence in the townscape, directly facing the River Freshney and accessed via a pedestrian bridge.
Our design revives these buildings to provide a centre for young people of the area - bringing arts, performance and sports facilities as well as social spaces and a café. Accessed through a main entrance across the bridge, the largest warehouse will be opened-up to create a generous central space. The historic fabric of the buildings will be restored and large spaces such as the martial arts gym will occupy the impressive internal volumes. A boathouse will directly access the river.
To the north of the site a series of new-build structures completes the composition. The largest of these is a zinc-clad sports hall, designed with a saw-tooth roof to reflect the industrial nature of the site and bring indirect sunlight to the interior. A metal-mesh volume houses a climbing wall, whilst single-storey grey-brick additions provide supporting spaces and draw everything together. An external recreation area with kick-pitch and skate park is sheltered by the L-shaped plan.